Friday, November 03, 2006

Who is she? Who is she?


Last Wednesday played host to the National Television Awards and I have to say I was mortified. The majority of the awards went to deserving winners such as David Attenborough and Ant and Dec but, to have Nikki from BB6 receive an award for most popular TV contender I thought was the horrror of all horrors. I feel I have to explain myself. During the summer I wouldn't and couldn't find a bad word to say about Nikki, I loved her and thought she was hilarious. She was fantastic to watch and yes I did vote for her to go back into the Big Brother house after she had been evicted (should I admit to that?). So, when I heard that she was visiting our student's union here in Sunderland, to say that I was excited was an understatement. However, from the moment I met her, my opinion of her dropped like a lead balloon. She was rude and boring. I felt like a little girl who had had all her dreams shattered in one foul swoop. She barely managed a 'hello' and didn't even try to make any form of conversation and then didn't even manage a 'goodbye'. She is barely a celebrity yet is already acting like a diva. In fact, how is she famous? For using the now famous line 'Who is she?' or for throwing her infamous tantrums? Or for briefly dating the BB6 winner Pete, which it could be questioned was a PR stunt to keep her in the spotlight for longer than 15 minutes. Whatever way, she is definitely a 'celebrity' that I will not be offering any words of praise to in the near future.

On a more positive note however I have been introduced to a fantastic clip by Dove which I think that any woman feeling down about herself should watch. Advertising and magazines very often show flawless, skinny models who appear to be perfect but in reality it's just airbrushing and a great team of make-up artists and stylists. A great example of this was Kate Winslet on the front of GQ magazine in 2003. Yes, many celebs are very skinny but surely that's not attractive... is it boys? Nicole Richie is often in and out of rehab dealing with a weight problem and BB6's Nikki almost died from anorexia when she was 14 and had to be force fed through a tube. Dove is exposing the truth in pictures and models and encouring real women to realise that they are beautiful too. It certainly gets the feel good factor going! Hope it makes you smile!

5 Comments:

At 8:22 am, Blogger Si├ón said...

Nikki Grahame is a moody miserable nobody. I was working at Manor Quay when she visited. She was met at her car by my manager with a small bottle of champagne, she didn't say a word, but her 'bodyguard' explained she'd only be drinking water that evening. She stormed past my manager in a complete mood. I later discovered that she hadn't wanted to come to Manor Quay at all, and had to be coaxed out of the shower in her hotel room. When she arrived she was as miserable as sin! Barely speaking on stage, and making a serious cock-up by saying she loved the Geordie accent... (wasn't she briefed about the geordie/mackem rivalry?!) Anyway, I was on my break in the same room where she was giving autographs, I don't think I saw her smile once!! Call me naive, but she's a very lucky girl isn't she? The only thing she's good at is whinging, and even I could give her a run for her money with that!

Sian x

 
At 6:43 am, Blogger Rosie Ford said...

I couldn't agree more with you Sian, she is a very lucky girl, she owes alot to BB and the people who voted for her. It was so obvious that she didn't want to be there and someone should definitely have informed her of the mackam geordie rivalry... it's no wonder she was booed, I think it's fair to say she wont be returning to Manor Quay in a hurry...!

 
At 8:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met Nikki and I have to say I found her to be really friendly and she was so chatty! She couldn't have been nicer and she was so honest and straight forward. She's tiny and in real life she looks younger. Don't understand the negative comments here as I found her to be delightful.

 
At 1:57 am, Anonymous Nickooo said...

At first her innocence was quite endearing i have to admit, however it didnt take her long to really get on my wick with her annoyingly overdramtic attention seeking tantrums - it was just ridiculous. And trust me ladies, skinny is NOT attractive at all! Curves all the way, with a bit of an ass.. YEAH!!

 
At 5:30 am, Blogger Lydia said...

Hey Rosie,

Whatever, I totally agree with you about Nikki, I think she should just get over herself, within this year she will already have been forgotten.

I'm writing an article at the moment for, About the Spin, about Dove and their PR campaigns, (they're fantastic).

Anyway I loved the blog, and thanks for the compliment on mine. Sadly no news from The Independent yet, (fingers crossed though!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home