Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A good bit of PR!


As you know, I'm a PR student. Over the weekend I was flicking through a newspaper when I came across PR heaven. Imagine... There's a vacancy in your company, you advertise for someone to recruit, you flick through all the applications then suddenly a familiar name pops up... Kate Middleton. Heard of her? Well I certainly have and I know that Jigsaw (the company in question) had too. So, what does this company do? Give her the job of course! For those of you who have no idea what I'm banging on about, I'll explain. Kate Middleton is the girlfriend of Prince William and, according to many newspapers the inevitable future wife of Prince William. She's a very attractive girl who appears to be squeaky clean and liked by William's grandmother (always a help when she happens to be the Queen!) Anyway, Kate has landed herself a job with Jigsaw as their accessory buyer. Haven't Jigsaw done well! Over the weekend alone I saw this story in at least three newspapers. This is publicity that Jigsaw would never have otherwise achieved had they employed Jane from down the road and what a way to get people into the store looking at their accessories. I for one will probably have a browse just to see if our possible future Queen has good taste or not, or maybe take a few hints on what I should be accessorising with to blag myself a prince!

All this got me thinking though... My perfect job would be what she is doing. I own 25 belts, 19 handbags and too many shoes to put my mind to so I think I qualify as being 'interested' in accessories. Kate did a history of art degree at St Andrews in Scotland so could someone please inform me as to how this relates to accessories or even fashion in any way?! My cinical side is popping up to say hello yet again..here it comes... Could she have landed the job because... shock horror... she's famous? Could it be she has connection with the owners of Jigsaw? I think this could be a positive. However, I'm not saying that I think she'll be rubbish in her new job because just to look at her you can see that she's gorgeous and isn't short of a sense of style so I think she'll be good. It just leaves me questioning, what if. What if Jane down the road had a first class degree in accessory buying and was up against Ms Middleton for this job. Who do you think would have got it? I no who I think and I'm sorry to say that I don't think it would have been our Jane!

While on I'm on the subject of PR, another story that caught my eye over the weekend was that to do with Threshers. Threshers had sent out an EMAIL yes an EMAIL with 40% off vouchers attached that basically all you needed to do was print off the vouchers and then use them in any of their stores. Is there really a marketing department out there capable of coming up with such a bad idea? If there is they need to be sacked! The story goes... Threshers come up with an idea to send this email out to a 'selected few', who were suppliers, and they say on the email that this can be forwarded to family and friends. Did they really not think that these family and friends would forward it to their family and friends who would forward it to theirs and then to theirs etc etc until it ends up all over England and even as a link from a comment left on one of my postings?! Had I been in that meeting, I certainly would have pointed out the flaw in this plan. But, is it really a flaw? Or is it clever PR and marketing at work? Let's assess the situation... It's nearly Christmas and new year, people need to get the wine and champers in, where are they going to go? Maybe Asda, maybe Morrissons, maybe the off license down the road or maybe Threshers because they have a 40% off voucher! By getting people in their door, Threshers are stopping people from going to their competitors to buy their booze. Does anyone know if Threshers have upped their usual prices to make 40% still seem like a great deal? I read a quote from Threshers saying that £100 bottles of champagne were in the deal and that they could not be bought for £60... personally if this was an error, I would have thought that they'd be keeping schtum about that! Granted 40% off is a lot and it could be possible that this was a genuine error by Threshers, or rather they are a victim of their own success. Figures will be out shortly to determine whether or not this was a disaster for the chain but my guess is that they'll make a profit and people will be impressed with their generosity and consider shopping there for their alcohol again in the future. They've generated themselves a lot of press coverage and didn't even need a celeb on the way! Please leave your thoughts!

2 Comments:

At 11:33 am, Blogger Charlie said...

Hmm. Some people really are sneaky aren't they? 'Ms Mddleton' as you say, could be brilliant for the job but doing PR has taught me to examine every move of a organisation with a cynical eye. Afterall, PR stunts are at their best when they are unnoticeable. Could Jigsaw & Threshers fall under this catagory? I know what I think (Ooh we are cynical!)

 
At 12:48 pm, Blogger Erin said...

Hi Rosie, I hadn’t heard this story about Kate Middleton, but even if she does nothing the publicity generated will pay her salary alone. I can hardly see her working the nine to five and staying up late to meet deadlines! A very sneaky move by Jigsaw, I bet she just pops in the office once a week to get ‘papped’ by the paparazzi and returns to her mansion! Ow I can’t help but bitch at this one, surely the public can see through it?? Erin x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home