Wednesday, January 10, 2007

It's back!


Celebrity Big Brother has returned to haunt us once again! It seems longer than a year ago that Essex girl Chantelle bounced onto our screens and as a non-celebrity beat all the so called 'real celebrities' in winning Big Brother. If I was famous and had gone on Celebrity Big Brother only to be beaten by a non-celeb, I would have been so embarrassed, mortified infact! Surely that made a mockery of being a z class celebrity, if it wasn't already. I have to confess that I love Chantelle and fair play to her for managing to convince her housemates that she was famous and from a girlband called Kandyfloss. Watching her sing really was car-crash TV but I loved every second of it! It just proved though that the show's producers can only really manage to persuade people to go on if their career is dying/dead or if they're trying to make something of themselves.

This year, I have to say I'm far from impressed with the people in the house. Jade Goody is yet again gracing our screens. I wonder if there will be renditions of "Am I mingin'"... Yes Jade, back then you were but I really think she has blossomed the past few years and she has bagged herself a lovely looking fiancee, who is also in the house, so she obviously can't be doing too much wrong! Jade's lesbian mum is in there too. Her voice just makes me think of a nasty old lady who's smoked far too many packs of 40 for far too many years. She recently had thousands and thousands of pounds worth of cosmetic surgery for the reality show Extreme Makeover. My older sister loved to give me makeovers when I was about 6 but clearly those days of a bit of lippy or eye shadow are long gone!

Other housemates include disgraced Miss GB, who was stripped of her title and crown when it emerged that she was dating one of the judges for Miss Great Britain. The other girls surely didn't stand a chance! Her name is Danielle Lloyd and the judge in question is Teddy Sheringham. She proudly calls herself a WAG and when asked by Davina McCall what WAG stood for, looked even more proud of herself for getting it right (It's fair to say she's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.) When she appeared on BBC1's Test The Nation, she was asked who Winston Churchill was - her reply? "Wasn't he the first black president of America? There's a statue of him near me - that's black." Oh dear! My history knowledge is far from great but come on love!

Also in there is Jo from S Club - She made some classic tunes in her hay day! Ian, otherwise known as H from Steps, he's kind of annoying but there's something I like about him. Michael Jackson's brother Jermaine, Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty, Leo Sayer - again that man's got some great tunes next to his name, Cleo Rocos, Ken Russell, Donny Tourette and Dirk Benedict. I haven't heard of most of these people. Do I walk around with my eyes closed? Am I stupid? Am I young and naive? Hmmm, possibly yes to a few of these but I think the best explanation is that they're just not that famous! Three of them have walked out already - Don, Leo and Ken. Surely they knew what they were letting themselves in for when they signed up? Maybe their no doubt huge pay check was obscuring their ability to think straight.

I think I definitely prefered last years Celebrity Big Brother but hey, I'm open to persuasion so I'll keep you posted if anything changes my mind or if I happen to be blown away by any contestant (Jack is nearing this to be honest but only based on his beautiful good looks (fanning myself), but, I don't think he's said more than 2 words and I'm not THAT shallow so he's not my fave yet!) Let me know your thoughts :)

1 Comments:

At 3:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are obviously too young and the net of celebrity-dom has to be cast further now everyone knows what to expect. Only the really desperate or niave need now apply.
The point you are missing is that it doesn't matter how famous the people are, the draw is the human goldfish bowl. How else would the show have become so popular in the first place with "normal" people? The only slight advantage to a celebrity version is that you have an opinion of the person pre-formed that can be either reinforced or shattered (and it's a good bet they will all be a little bit crazy or quirky which has stood them out as "celebrities" in the first place!)
That is probably why Jack is finding it so hard to string more than two words together with the overpowering characters that are in there.
I am sure you will grow to love the show and the people in it, giving you a chance as a generation to become familiar with these celebrities from another angle than the one before.
And if you are looking for a a deeper person than shallow Jack, look no further than Dirk. Keep watching and new pages of his book will be slowly revealed! Read on......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home